You need to know the best way to get your manuscript to the attention of editors and agents. And because publishers now leave so much publicity in the hands of the author, you have to hit the ground running with your own promotion efforts as soon as your book is accepted.
Are you ready?
I’ve prepared a special one-night workshop to give new and aspiring authors the innovative promotion skills they’ll need:
Marketing Outside of the Box – Bringing Your Book to Life and Keeping it Alive, a workshop with author Marie Lamba
When: Thursday, October 7th at 6 p.m.
Where: The Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency Office, 31 East 32nd St, New York, NY
Cost: $150, registration limited
For more info or to register: Call 212-481-8484 ext. 362 and leave your name and number
This workshop will have you selling your manuscripts and your published books like a seasoned pro. I’ll be sharing my most effective low-to-no-cost publicity techniques, from unorthodox (and minor rule breaking) ways to rise above the slush pile, to great tips for nailing free national press.
I’ve worked on the publishing side as an editor and as a book promotions manager. I’ve paid my dues as a public relations writer. And I’ve experienced just how tough it can be for a debut author with an “orphaned” title destined for obscurity. People told me a lone author couldn’t make a difference in the success or failure of a book. I chose not to believe them. Instead I worked tirelessly, came up with numerous fresh ways to promote by combining new technology and traditional wisdom, and I definitely did make a difference. Even several years after publication, What I Meant… is still finding new readers and going into reprints.
You can make a difference in your own career too. So take heart!
Topics to be covered in this workshop include…
BRINGING YOUR BOOK TO LIFE:
– Nail the description of what you are selling
– Forget the traditional synopsis…how to shape one that gets to the heart of your work
– Form your one-minute pitch
– Make sure your manuscript is perfect before submitting, but not too perfect…
– How to jump the line when submitting
– How to speed up response times to your work
– Ways to break down the door at houses closed to unagented submissions
– How to rise above the slush and stand out
– Being the consummate professional
This workshop will also include…
YOU’VE GOT A BOOK DEAL! — HOW TO KEEP THAT BOOK ALIVE THROUGH PROMOTION:
– What you can and can’t expect from your publisher
– How to become your own super-charged publicist – for free!
– Website…No money? Completely ignorant? No problem!
– Start early to think big – and nab national attention
– Provide your own press releases and feature stories to the media
– Innovative ways to locate and reach your audience
– Why there’s no such thing as a bad book signing, if you do it right…
– How family and friends can create a groundswell of support
– Become the expert – and market through this!
– My best out of the box idea…What can be yours?
– Power in numbers – should you create a marketing partnership?
– How to do all this and still be true to yourself
Hope you can join us on October 7th for this special event!